Friday, November 10, 2017

IBI Lesson Reflection

This week our task was to teach a lesson using inquiry based instruction.  With how much I was struggling to grasp what IBI was truly about last week, I feel like this lab did not go terrible.  I do feel that I could have done better but there is always something that we all can improve upon each week.

My lesson was about artificial insemination in cattle and how it differs from conventional breeding.  The students would be forming their own hypothesis and then testing as well as collecting data and forming a conclusion.  The experiment was that they would be constructing two reproductive tracks out of balloons, rubber bands and life saver mints.  Next they would try to pour sprinkles into one balloon and the other balloon they would pour the sprinkles down a straw that has been inserted.  Which balloon has more sprinkles that made it into the bottom?  That is the method that will result in a high conception rate as the sprinkles are bypassing trying to weave through the lifesavers and rubber bands.

I though this was a super fun lab and the students seemed to have lots of fun doing it but I still think there were some things I could have done differently or better.

Gems 

  • Was a super fun, hands on lab for students 
  • Thought I had good enthusiasm 
  • Tried to make all of my questions opened and not just a yes/no answer like when asking who has questions instead of are there any questions

Opps 

  • Should have had students label the balloons that 
  • I had an example balloon made up ahead of time and I completely forgot to pull it out and show students what it was to look like when they were questioning it.  
  • I need to stop using my go to filler word of UMM! I need to get better at this! 


2 comments:

  1. I had a lot of fun with your lab Macy! While the model would have been helpful in figuring out how to make our balloons, you effectively clarified and explained directions. IBI was definitely present in your lesson - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macy, your lab was very fun and engaging! Having a reference model will help students to understand what their final product can look like and how to use materials correctly. Labeling will assist both you and them in understanding what they are creating and how it is working.

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...