Sunday, January 14, 2018

Student Teaching Reflection: Week One

I can't believe that week one is already over!  Everyone told me that the time was going to fly by and they sure were right.  This week was full of field trips, observations and new experiences.


Officially part of 
Selinsgrove now!
Two different days this week, I traveled to the Pennsylvania Farm Show with the chapter.  If you would like to read more about my day spend there, please feel free to read my blog https://macysmoments.blogspot.com/2018/01/mid-winter-convention.html

The rest of the week, I was able to be in Mrs. Fry's and Mr. Swineford's classrooms and start to get a feel for the kids and their teaching styles.  This week was a bit crazy though.  There was Keystone testing everyday, which meant that the students were on a modified schedule for the rest of the day.  The nice part about that was that each day, the students who weren't testing were sent to their assigned classroom for about 2 hours in the morning. 

This was a great time for me to really get to know and connect with the classes that I will be starting to teach this week.  I was able to sit down, get to know the students on a personal level, and see them in their natural state.  I really don't want student to act any different just because I am now teaching.  So I think this time will be very beneficial in the long run.

With it being the end of the marking period, all of Mrs. Fry's classes are working on finishing up their projects and presentations.  I have been able to see so many cool things with the Vet Science class like how to give a ferret a bath, how to trim a hamster's toenails and how to tattoo a rabbit.  Each of the students in this class had to either record and show a video of a skill demonstration or they have the option to bring their pet in and showcase the skill live.

One of the live demonstrations; 
tattooing a rabbit.  
I was also able to listen to the freshman classes do speech presentations.  Each student had the option to either do a 3-5 minute speech or to do the creed.  Hearing the kids do the creed, took me all the way back to when I competed in the Creed contest.  I wasn't able to advance past the county area but I still was able to step into these students' shoes as they talked about how hard it was to memorize it.

I am curious to see if the week will go as fast as this past one did.  I am super excited to start the week as I will be starting two different classes.  On Wednesday, I start with the Ag Foundations classes which are all freshman.  I get to teach 3 different groups of students in this class and we will be starting the Animal Science Unit. 

Then on Thursday, I will start the with the new class of Building Construction Students.  I get to start with this group on their very first day of the class and I will teach them everyday while the Ag Foundations class is every other day.  I am nervous but anxious all at the same time and can't wait to tell you how it goes!  Look for my next blog to hear how my first day of teaching goes!!!


8 comments:

  1. Macy,

    Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great week next week and just remember: You are ready!

    DF

    PS Explore "hyperlinking" in your blog posts to make the link you shared (i.e. MidWinter) to make it easier for the reader to jump to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see you starting to form relationships with the students you will teach. That will go a long way with some of the kids who aren't as focused on academics. I'm excited to see your lesson plans come to life and am glad that you are flexible. Flexibility is an important part of any good classroom! Especially with snow days and modified schedules on the horizon. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to see me in action too! Hopefully I will be able to deliver it as I have it build up in my head. I just keep remembering that I am not suppose to be a master of this yet and mistakes are sometimes the best times for learning.

      Delete
  3. So exciting Macy! Well done with your first week. So glad that you were able to take advantage of additional time with some students. Best of luck next week as you start to take on some classes... Take a deep breath, be calm and pretend it was on the lesson plan. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarabeth!! I am just now finalizing everything for the week and I just keep telling myself that it's ok if everything doesn't go exactly as I wrote it as long as we hit our objectives and have fun while doing it.

      Delete
  4. Macy, you got to see and do a lot during your first week! What was your favorite thing that you observed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. State mandated testing - letting you experience the need for flexibility and adaptability right at week one of you experience. :)

    What does teaching "three different groups of students?" mean in your foundations class. Does that mean three periods of the class or three different groups of students in one class? I'm just trying to get a feel for what you are experiencing. What sort of facility do you have for the Building/ Construction class? Is it a shop and classroom?
    PS - You'll find that I tend to ask a lot of questions. Of course, that is something that I my student teacher last semester said was a take away from me. Constantly asking questions to help students apply and process information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 different classes of Ag Foundations and actually my building construction class will get to utilize both the shop and a classroom. We will be doing a lot of the electricity unit in the classroom on these prebuild boards but when we move to plumbing we will be moving to the shop.

      Delete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...