Sunday, February 18, 2018

Student Teaching: Week 6

This past week was an easy yet hard week all at once! This week I had to be out of class for two
Learning about types of
injections by giving 
bananas shots.  
different days which meant I needed to leave substitute teacher plans.  I figured that these would be easy to do however I learned that they are a little more complex than I had thought.  I wanted to keep my classes on track and still meet the objectives that I originally had planned.  This made me think outside the box a little to try and come up with activities that the students could do on their own.

For example, the Ag Foundations class was to be learning about the major breeds of the beef industry.  I left instructions for them to create their own flash cards with a picture of the breed on one side and then information about the breed as well as the name on the other side.  While writing out the directions for the activity, I realized how hard it is to write out instructions that are clear and concise enough for someone else to explain it.  It was easy for me to map out what the steps were in completing this task, but having to write them out made me think through how to write them so that anyone could follow what my thoughts were. 

The second day that I had to leave sub plans, I knew that both Mrs. Fry and Mr. Swineford would be coving my content.  I still had to leave detailed plans and go over with them what I wanted to occur while I was gone, but it did seem easier that they knew my teaching style and knew me a little to know how I would go through the lesson if I was there.  It was much harder leaving a lesson for someone I had never met or knowing how they teach or their background knowledge.
Selinsgrove Ag Mechanics team at the SUN area contest.  
I now know that when you aren't going to be in class, leaving sub plans can be much harder than just teaching the class myself.  You have to think through and make sure that students will actually be gaining something from the class and that it can be achieved while you are not there.  I in no way am doubting the ability of a substitute teacher.  They have a hard job too, just walking into any classroom they are assigned and having to build relationships with students continuously.  However, I do realize that as Ag Teachers we have a large knowledge base that not everyone else has a strong background in.  This being said it would be unfair to expect any one to walk into my classroom and teacher it just as I would.  That must be why it is so important for Ag teachers to find a substitute that they can use on a regular basis since they tend to miss a few days here and there.  If you have a great sub back at school who you know can get through what you have left, it eases the stress on the teacher.
Selinsgrove Small Gas Engines team, first place!  

Saying all that, this was a very fun week for me as a teacher.  We had several activities in class where I got to see students push themselves and ask some great "Why" questions.  We also had the state officers come visit all of our classes this past week.  I was able to see several students step outside their comfort zones and really step up as leaders within their classes and help their teams rise to victory in the activities the state officers had them perform.  I was also able to travel with the FFA members to the SUN area CDE day.  We had a team compete in each of the CDEs that day; milk quality and products, ag mechanics and small gas engines.  Our teams did a great job in each of their contests and it was a great feeling watching them succeed and the pride they had in the work they had done.  I rounded out the week by heading back to State College to spend some well needed, quality time with the rest of #PSUAGED18 and my Penn State Teach Ag Family!  It was great to finally get to see my cohort members and hear about their experiences in the past 6 weeks.
Selinsgrove Milk Quality and Products Team.  
Heading into week 7, I know that it is going to be a fun and exciting week as it coincides with National FFA Week!  Look for me to share out what unique and fun ways that Selinsgrove FFA celebrates the week and would love to hear how other chapters across the state are celebrating the wonderful week!  
Students getting the "Toxic Popcorn" from one bucket to the other 
without touching it or reaching in the circle.  This was just one of 
the great team building activities the State Officers did!  

4 comments:

  1. Macy, thank you for such a detailed reflection of your experiences this week. Congratulations on your CDE teams doing well and it is good that you are getting a chance to write your own sub plans and are focused on making sure your students have a successful lesson even if you aren't present in the classroom. Did you use a particular template for your sub plans that was provided by your district, or were you able to use your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my own that was similar to Mr. Swineford and Mrs. Fry's.

      Delete
  2. Excellent Macy! Leaving sub plans certainly can be difficult. It's really good that you were considering how precise and clear the plans are. I encourage you to also talk with students about what their expectations will be the day before (if possible). I know that I also leave a mini-outline of what is due on my whiteboard with the term #NOExcuses. So far this year, 6 of my 7 classes have really done extremely well with subs when we are out for conferences etc!. Well done and have a fabulous week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent thoughts on sub plans and it can often be especially challenging for Ag teachers as frequently our student leaders in the classroom might be on trips with us. Detailed directions can be tough to create both for students to understand and subs to facilitate. If you have YouTube access for your sub, you could consider presenting info and directions via a video or screencast. Making sure you have a clear grading rubric can sometimes help facilitate a lesson, too.
    Did you train the Milk CDE team? What strategies did you use?

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...