Monday, September 4, 2017

#AEE412 Weekly Investment Reflection 2

This week we are diving in head first and learning about the part that we all fear the most about student teaching; lesson planning.  This has been on each of our minds within my cohort and it is always one of the first things we have questions about when someone asks "What questions do you have?"  Well this week's reading may help settle at least my mind some.  I was able to take away that sometimes you need to come at a lesson from a different angle.  Our readings specifically talked about started with your desired end result and build you lesson backwards, leading up to developing your objectives.  You could start with a great activity and build off of that or think of a great interest approach and think of  lesson that goes with it; just keep Bloom's Taxonomy in mind.  Doing so will help to ensure that objectives are clear, well stated, and action oriented.
The "right" way to write a lesson plan!


I have had to write a few simple lessons in the past and have indeed had to include objectives in these lessons.  I always thought that the best objectives were those that were lengthy and had elaborate, scholarly wording.  When in fact these objectives are not incorrect, but are not as efficient as those that are clear and easily state what is expected of the students.  I now know that it doesn't matter how elaborate my objectives and not to be as afraid of lesson planning.  I am learning that as long as I keep calm, keep my end results in mind, and utilize the methods and techniques I learn along the way, I will have well written objectives and an overall effective lesson plan. 

I would love to hear how everyone approaches lesson planning as I begin the task of writing my first lesson plans for student teaching!  Please feel free to comment below some of your favorite tips and tricks or ask me any questions you may have! Thanks for reading! 

 http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/siteASCD/publications/UbD_WhitePaper0312.pdf (Links to an external site.)
 http://www.deefinkandassociates.com/GuidetoCourseDesignAug05.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
http://community.wvu.edu/~lsmong/Articulate%20Blooms%20Wheel/blooms_wheel.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
 Chapter 5, Planning for Instruction (26 pages

4 comments:

  1. Macy,

    Thank you for sharing, but:
    1) Be sure to use titles that describe the content of the post and will have meaning to you in 2, 4 or 6 months
    2) USE APA Citations. If unclear: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

    Thank you,
    DF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Macy! We had an impromptu faculty meeting this morning and lesson plans were the top priority. Every lesson, every day has to be uploaded into our online system. Our administration is especially concerned with teaching strategies and using our 1:1 technology (in at least 75% of lessons). I will encourage you to do the same so that you are getting this practice. Every school will be different but they will all require planning! Good luck as you start this process and remember to include the lesson plan componenets that we discussed when you visited :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back at this a few weeks later. I still agree but, I also believe that it is getting a bit easier to write these "right" lesson plans. Being able to see the importance for the student and for the effective lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macy - Looking back and realizing that we started this journey not knowing how to write lesson plans to now where we are almost 'masters' at writing lesson plans is amazing. Like you, I was uncertain about how to write lesson plans, the reading helped a little, but it was not until I actually started writing them that I fully understood how to write them. You are correct with your reminder to remember to always keep the students in mind!

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...