Monday, September 25, 2017

First Unit Plan Reflection

I have recently prepared my first unit plan for the classes I will teach during student teaching.  This unit if for the Ag Foundations class which is a class that all ninth graders take at Selinsgrove High School.  All classes are block schedule and will be 90 minutes in length.  The Ag Foundations class is where students will be introduced to many different industries in Agriculture like Forestry, Food Science, Welding and Plant Sciences.  This unit plan is for my Animal Science unit where I will be going over main breeds of livestock of five species.  These species are chosen by students interest and also reflect the local industries that are strong in Snyder county.  I also included lessons about the basics of livestock judging, meat quality and proper injections.  Below I have listed some of my concerns for the lesson and some of the things I believe that I did well in the plan. 

Concerns

  • Do I have enough planned to fill 90 minutes 
  • Do I need to have more activities planned
  • Do I need to have more objectives for each lesson 
  • Do I need to add anything to the lesson/ remove from the lesson 
Successes 
  • I really like the format I used to lay out my lessons, but might need to change format for rest of plan 
  • I really like the content that I am going to cover in the unit (Think I am covering some real fun/interesting topics) 
  • I really like my unit assessment, I made this test from scratch and think that it covers a lot of information from the unit 
  • I really like my reasoning for this unit  
Many of my successes and concerns were brought up in my feedback.  I actually had many people review my unit plan and give me feedback.  A lot of my feedback helped me with my length of lessons.  I think that as I learn more about pacing I will be able to better understand how much to plan for in each lesson.  I also think that some of my lessons may need a little extra added while other lessons are really full.  I think that I just need to shift some of my topics around to have it spread out well.  I had a lot of positive comments both on my layout as well as my assessment.  This makes me feel great because I put a lot of time into my assessment and making sure I am testing on the important information.  I think that as I go forward in planning units, I will only get better and learn more about how to effectively prepare a plan.  

6 comments:

  1. Macy, I appreciate your honesty and "raw" explanation of your gems and opps that your unit plan presented. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you gave us an overview of what your unit plan was about and how it was incorporated into your school. Your honesty is great! You can do it! Keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure the concepts appropriately "chunk" together.
    I look forward to reviewing the plan.
    You might think about linking it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the background information on the class and unit you will be teaching! I will be including this in my blog from now on. Your gems and opps show that you really reflected on this process. What was your favorite resource you used when planning this unit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macy wohooo! You are getting there :) You are asking ALL THE RIGHT QUESTIONS! I am still quite terrible at time management, but my biggest advice for you once you are student teaching is it's ok to take a little longer on something IF the students are engaged and asking questions and learning. There is however a time and a place to cut things or shorten them if it doesn't relate to the area, the students aren't interested, or you think they need to focus on more important subjects etc. Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!! I am glad that these are normal questions to be asking; was afraid I was concerned for no reason.

      Delete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...