Sunday, October 1, 2017

#AEE 412 Week Investment #6: Problem Solving Approach

This week we have been committed to learning about the problem solving approach of teaching.  I think thus far, this has been one of the hardest concepts to grasp.  It should be easy to understand, as the main idea of the problem solving approach is for students to in fact solve a problem however I realized that it is a bit more complex than that.

We have learned that there are four different strategies of problem solving approach: forked road, possibilities/factors, situation to be improved upon, and effect-cause.  I was having a hard time wrapping my head around these strategies and how to differentiate between each. It took me a while but I think I finally found a way to help guide me in the right direction when thinking about what each strategy is focused on.  I came up with an essential question that helps me to form the problems that are associated with each.  Below is an image of the strategies and the correlating question that I have found to help.



This image defiantly helps me to link what types of questions and problems to each types of strategy but I am still struggling a little with a different aspect of problem solving approach.  We have to write a lesson plan this week for this approach and I quickly was able to come up with my problem and was able to identify which strategy it fell under, however my problem now is I'm not sure how to fill the rest of the lesson.  

Can a problem solving approach lesson fill 90 minutes?  If so what kind of content to you build around it?  If you teach content around the problem solving, would it fall under an informative lesson instead of a managerial one?  I have learned so much yet I still have so many questions.  If anyone has any tips or great examples of how you use the problem solving approach in your classroom, I would LOVE to for you to comment about it below!!


4 comments:

  1. Macy I think you did a great job lining up the problem solving approach with questions that relate to each area. I completely agree with having more questions and I too am wondering how to make my lesson plan effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macy, I love the chart you made that link the PBL strategies to the question they are engaging the students to answer! What is the topic that you chose for your problem solving approach? With more info, I can try to guide you to some resources that may help answer some of your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macy, you made this so much simpler for the rest of the cohort to understand the four types of problem-solving approaches because of your chart! What I am still trying to understand and figure out is how I can use multiple approaches in one lesson plan, without creating something too complex for the students. So many things to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macy, I loved the way you lined questions up to the type of problem solving approach. I know that if it was not for your help I would not have understood the problem solving approach as well as I do now. It is simple and memorable!

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...