Friday, October 20, 2017

Surprise! It's reflection time!

This week our lab was a little different than what we have been doing.  This week was our Surprise Lab!  We knew we were going to have lab, we just didn't know what we had to teach until Monday morning.  We each were given a set of AFNR standards that we had to formulate a lesson around in it in about 30 hours.  Then we taught the lesson in a 10-15 minute chunk of time.  This lab was very similar to what we had to do our very first week where we were given a topic on Monday and taught it on Wednesday.  I think this time was so much easier than the first time we taught!  The very first week, it took me until the second I taught to have my lesson finalized and still felt like I wasn't ready to teach the subject.  I also felt like I had to teach everything so fast and felt like students weren't able to learn anything in the first lab but now that we have been working on all of these skills over the past several weeks, this lab was much more simple to put together.  This lab was a great way for us as students to realize that sometimes things are going to pop up for us to do that were not planned and we will just have to go with the flow and still get everything prepared.  Not everything in life is going to go as planned and as teachers we need to be able to adapt to so many different things like a new student adding the class, a snow day, a class assembly, etc.  I think this lab was extremely beneficial to us so that we can do exactly that and start to learn to work on our toes as well as it serving as a great way for us to reflect on how far we have come in such a short amount of time.
 

Below are some of my gems and opps from this week's lesson: 

GEMS

  • I think I am becoming really creative with my interest approaches.  I could be wrong but I feel like I have some unique and creative ways to introduce my content and get students interested in what they are about to learn.  
  • I was not stressed or freaked out by the actual surprise.  I knew that it was going to challenge us but I also knew that this was going to be similar to what we had already done early on in the semester.  
  • I was able to create a satisfactory lesson plan in a short amount of time.  
  • I was really strong in the content area so I was confident in what I was about to teach the students.  
OPPS

  • I post the objectives on the board but I never verbal told the class what we would be going over. 
  • I should not have asked the question about if everyone had a home because some students might not. 

2 comments:

  1. Watching your video I would definitely agree with your blog post here. You did a good job of handling the student's different personalities. I also agree that you should not have asked about the home question. This could be a highly uncomfortable question for some children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macy, your interest approaches are definitely getting better! Posting objectives and going over them are a key step in making students aware of what is expected of them for the day and what to expect during class. Good catch on the home question, but don't stress over it.

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...