Monday, April 2, 2018

Week 12: Student Teaching

This week was a blur!  It was banquet week at Selinsgrove and every Ag teacher knows what comes with that.  Banquet is an evening where all of the students and members are showcased and we get to celebrate their achievements from the past year.  The week of the banquet can be hectic, fast passed and emotional.  Seniors are leaving, new members are growing into leaders, and the new officers step into their roles.

All of the Selinsgrove FFA members at the banquet!  
This banquet was more emotional for me than I thought it would be.  I have been through many, many banquets over the years but never have I been to a banquet as a student teacher.  I have become so connected and attached to this group of students in such a short amount of time that the banquet made me realize that I won't be around to see the underclassman grow and achieve so much more.  It jump started all the emotions that are going to be wrapped up in my last day and I am not ready to say goodbye to all of my students! 
2018-2019 Selinsgrove FFA Chapter Officer Team with PA FFA State President, Nathan Moyer and PA FFA State Vice President Thomas Gabel 
Thankfully we do still have a few weeks until I do have to leave them, however I know that it will be a hard day.  I think it will also be hard day for my students.  During the banquet, they surprised me by taking time to recognize me and talk about all of the fun things we have done this year.  I did not expect for them to do this since I am just their student teacher but I have learned that there is not such thing as "just a student teacher."  Each of them have shared some of their favorite memories from their time with me there and I have realized that I have made an impact on the students!
Look at all those chapter  proficiency winners!  
After the banquet, I talk to a few of the students and told them that they did not have to recognize me; their answer "Of course we did, the banquet is to recognize all the members of Selinsgrove and you are one of us!"  I truly have become one of them and feel as if I have been there for years.  I know that it will be a sad day here very soon but I know that I am leaving the students at Selinsgrove with some new knowledge, new skills and most of all fun memories!
All of the Greenhand Degree recipients :) 

Sorry, thinking too much about the end when there is still so much to do before that day comes!  We have to wrap up the Ag Leadership projects, start learning some plumbing content and skills in building construction and the freshman are going to start welding this week!  We also have to boil our syrup, get the greenhouse filled and ready for the plant sale, and head the Regional Public speaking contest!   So much to do, in such little time!
My very first Parli Pro Team!  Will never forget this group of great kids!  

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to truly know the impact you have in the moment. Glad to hear you had a positive banquet experience and that the students appreciate all of your hard work.

    Finish strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macy, its wonderful that you've made such a positive impact on the lives of your students at Selinsgrove and that they chose to recognize you for it! Try to keep up the momentum during these last few weeks. As they say: "Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a successful banquet. I was glad to see you have a follow up statement to "just a student teacher" as you will never be "just a . . . " whatever it is you are. You have much to offer.

    ReplyDelete

All Good Things Must Come To An End!

I've been sitting here the past two days working on wrapping up my assignments and getting ready to head back to Penn State to be with m...